Re: A call for the future. Was: Re: Verio Decides what parts of the internet to drop

  • From: Steve Dispensa
  • Date: Mon Dec 06 22:01:09 1999

One quick difference - the PSTN only has to make a single routing decision
per call.  Internet routers usually decide on a per-packet basis.

> - IPv6 is not the answer to our routability problems, but it will vastly
>    accelerate the reachability problems we already have. Provider-based
>    prefixing will be a breaking dike once it becomes obvious to people
>    that geographical or organizational hierarchies cannot be dictated
>    over business needs.

Agreed.  Sounds good in theory, but I wouldn't bet on most organizations
being happy with keeping these hierarchies intact.

 - Steve
#include <dispensa.mwis.net/std_disclaimer.h>