Re: Verio Decides what parts of the internet to drop

  • From: Travis Pugh
  • Date: Sat Dec 04 18:45:43 1999

I've been lurking and looking at this conversation too long ... my head is
spinning.  Alex says there are many reasons causing people to announce B
nets with short prefixes, and he is entirely right.  The primary one would
be that a client, by some inexplicable reasoning, expects their Internet
service to be up and running reliably at least 95% of the time.

The disturbing message I have been able to glean from this thread is that:

- If you need reliability, get a /19
- If you are a small customer, using only a /24 for connectivity (and thus
helping to slow depletion) you are not BIG enough to expect multi-path
reliability into your network
- If you are a big provider, not only do you not have to provide a
consistent level of service to your customers, but you are free to block
them (and anyone else from other providers) arbitrarily when they spend a
good deal of money to augment your service with someone else's

The gist of the conversation, IMO, is that customers can't have reliability
with one provider, but they will be blocked from having reliability through
multiple providers if their addresses happen to be in the "wrong" space.
Something's wrong with that.

Cheers.

Travis
Eeeevillll consultant