Re: Verio Decides what parts of the internet to drop

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Thu Dec 02 18:10:22 1999

On Thu, Dec 02, 1999 at 06:02:53PM -0500, Alex Rubenstein wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Randy Bush wrote:
> > > Apparently for their convenience Verio has decided what parts of the
> > > Internet I can get to.
> >
> > verio does not accept from peers announcements of prefixes in classic b
> > space longer than the allocations of the regional registries.
>
> Simply put, thats dumb. I can't imagine a technical reason for this (CPU
> and/or memory), so it must be politcal.

	Your pager didn't go off when the routing table had 100k prefixes
in it, I take it.

	This is a Good Thing(tm).

> > we believe our customers and the internet as a whole will be less
> > inconvenienced by our not listening to sub-allocation prefixes than to have
> > major portions of the network down as has happened in the past.  some here
> > may remember the 129/8 disaster which took significant portions of the net
> > down for up to two days.
>
> I believe that if I have a customer who is multihomed between me and
> another provider, his punch-throughs to the non-address-space-providing
> provider should be heard. It's called 'global routability.'

	The people who "purchased" this space, didn't realize that such
routing policies exist, and it is not the problem of someone trying to reach
them, it's the problem of the person who is using address space that
was not originally assigned to them.

> > the routing databases are not great, and many routers can not handle ACLs
> > big enough to allow a large to irr filter large peers.  and some large peers
> > do not register routes.
>
> There are ways to get around this (as-path filtering, maximum-paths, etc)
> that aren't as nazi as one would hope, but will prevent stupidity and
> provide sanity checking.

	Maximum paths deals primarily with ibgp

	as-path filtering?  How will this help?

	Oh yeah, I'll as-path filter my peers, and then have even
more reacability issues.

> > so we and others filter at allocation boundaries and have for a long time.
> > we assure you we do not do it without serious consideration or to torture
> > nanog readers.
>
> Heh.
>
> > > With no notification.
> >
> > verio's policy has been constant and public.
>
> But unfortunate. Will they announce a customer-announced /24?

	Yes.

	They can't guarentee that peers will listen to it though.

--
Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from [email protected]r.net
END OF LINE  |