Re: Verio Decides what parts of the internet to drop

  • From: Alec H. Peterson
  • Date: Thu Dec 02 16:06:20 1999

[email protected] wrote:

> IMHOTS
>
> Apparently for their convenience Verio has decided what parts of the Internet I
> can get to. With no notification. This was (eventually) posted to the BSDI
> mailing list when some of us were cut from access to the site we need to
> maintain our OS.

Actually, this is a fairly common routing policy.  I think you will find
other networks do the same thing.  It is an entirely sane thing to do, and
it helps force people to aggregate their routing announcements properly.
Also, it protects you against fat-fingers that people sometimes do (one time
UUnet announced 50k extra /24s in classful B space).

Alec

--
Alec H. Peterson - [email protected]
Staff Scientist