Perceived Y2K problems

  • From: Eric Germann
  • Date: Tue Nov 30 21:26:32 1999

Anyone thought on the telco side yet about perceived issues with Y2K?
Specifically, I was discussing with one of my telco guys about the
sociological effects, namely, everyone watching the ball drop, then going
off hook to see if they have dial tone, or dialing in to the Internet to
see if it still works.  Since most switches aren't designed for 100% off
hook load, anyone seen any studies as to whether the switches will crash
from that?  I do envision seconds to get dialtone.  I remember in our
college days the new Nortel from Sprint took about 4 seconds to give us
dialtone right after the Gulf War bombing started (mostly paranoid college
guys debating if they were eligible for the draft I believe).  Anyways,
thoughts?

Eric

  Eric Germann                                        Inacom Info Systems
  [email protected]                                 Lima, OH 45801
                                                      Ph:  419 331 9050
  ICQ:  41927048                                      Fax: 419 331 9302

"It is so easy to miss pretty trivial solutions to problems deemed
complicated.  The goal of a scientist is to find an interesting problem,
and live off it for a while.  The goal of an engineer is to evade
interesting problems :)"  -- Vadim Antonov <[email protected]> on NANOG