Re: ARIN whois

  • From: Steve Sobol
  • Date: Tue Nov 30 18:07:49 1999

"Roeland M.J. Meyer" wrote:

> > What "legitimate business purposes" necessitate leaving SMTP
> > relays open
> > to the world?
>
> How about running a commercial email gateway? How about commercial anonymous
> re-mailers?

How about commercial anonymous re-mailers? You can certainly operate one without
running a relay. Have the people using the re-mailer send mail to a specific
address.

WRT commercial gateways, I'd argue that the specific use would determine whether
or not an open relay would be of any benefit. I'd need details about a specific
case before I'd argue that you're right or wrong.