Re: RFC1712 - is anyone actually using GPOS RR's ?

  • From: Andrew Brown
  • Date: Mon Nov 15 09:53:13 1999

>As subject says, is anyone actually using these ?

i don't think so.  it's still in "experimental" status, and the bind
code has only this to say about it:

include/arpa/nameser.h:       ns_t_gpos = 27,         /* Geographical position (withdrawn). */
include/arpa/nameser_compat.h:#define T_GPOS          ns_t_gpos
lib/resolv/res_debug.c:       {ns_t_gpos,     "GPOS",         "geographical position (withdrawn)"},

so i don't think anyone ever bothered with it at all.

>We were thinking of adding this to our automated dns scripts ... but if
>nobody actually uses them, we don't want to spend time on it ...

use LOC (rfc1876) instead.  it's more or less the same, but with more
info.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
[email protected]             * "ah!  i see you have the internet