Sep 29 outage report withdrawn by Qwest

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Sat Nov 06 22:14:09 1999

You may remember a major fiber cut in Ohio on September 29 which
affected several providers (Abovenet, GTE, QWEST, and MFS) when
four OC-192 circuits were cut.

http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/stories/news/0,4153,2345933,00.html

At the time of the initial incident Qwest filed an outage report
with the FCC.  They have since withdrawn it because it did not
meet the FCC's definition of a reportable outage.

http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Filings/Network_Outage/1999/reports/99-179.pdf

I don't mean to pick on Qwest, since as far as I can tell they were
the only one of the affected providers who filed even an initial
report.  But the definition of a major outage is really goofy, which
if viewed as traditional voice lines would be over 500,000 channels,
isn't considered an event worthy of reporting or including in the
analysis.