Baseline information and postive Y2K reporting

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Fri Nov 05 04:36:49 1999

At the Y2K meeting today in L.A. there were a couple requests from
the folks from the US Y2K coordination center for information about
the Internet.

They are looking for baseline information on what a "normal" number
of problems would be for the Internet on a typical weekend.  They
want this information to know if, on January 1, there are more or
less problems than normal.  For example, they have information on
how many ATM cash machines are not working on a typical weekend, and
will be able to compare it to reports during the Y2K roll-over.

I think most ISPs keep track of information such as how many calls,
trouble tickets, modems out of servers, etc they get each day.  The
Y2K CC isn't looking for ISP by ISP comparisions, but for an industry
summary.  Is anyone aware of a source or study which already generated
this information?

Or failing that, are there any ISPs willing to contribute a few key
service metrics so a third-party could generate an aggregate report
for the Y2K CC?   I was thinking of using these service metrics as
the basis for a broad "state of the Internet"
    - total modems/modems in use/modems out of service
    - total dedicated access ports/ports out of service
    - total number of web sites/sites out of service
    - total number of customer calls/trouble tickets opened
    - total number of bytes in/out (network aggregate)

Since Dec31/Jan1 is a weekend, it would be great to have 7 days worth
of daily or hourly data from a wednesday to wednesday.  Any data would
be usefull, but to make the aggregate more accurate may I suggest
everyone use the time period begining December 1, 1999 0000UTC and
ending at December 7, 1999 2359UTC.

Hopefully this would give us a good baseline.

The second issue was the process for postive status reporting about
the Internet during the Y2K roll-over.  IOPS.ORG is handling this for
their member ISPs, but are there any other groups collecting status
for other ISP and Internet services (e.g. exchange points).  The Y2KCC
can't handle every ISP calling them directly, but are willing to work
with a small number of groups willing to funnel summary information
to them.  Even if I gave everyone my cellphone number, I can't take
reports from 8,000 ISPs.  For reporting purposes, it needs to be
hierarchical.  The hierarchy doesn't need to be by size, e.g. find
a lead ISP or person in each region or state willing to collect the information in their area and feeding it to the next level.  But it
would require some comittiment from both the ISPs reporting the
status, and for the next-level up to use the information only to
prepare the aggregate report.

For postive reporting, its "simple" to set up a couple of e-mail
addresses (diversity) and a standardized template reporting ASN nnnn
is A-Ok.  And even though I think things are going to work, I would
need to present a reasonable backup process.

If we can't get ISPs to get together, I was thinking asking companies
like Inverse for dialup availability and Keynote for web availability.

If only 10 Internet Services (isps, exchange points, db's, etc) are
willing to do positive status reporting, I guess I could just give
them my email and cellphone number and consider that as good as it
will get.

Suggestions from operators for either how to quickly collect the
baseline information or postive status reporting during the event
would be appreciated.