Re: DNS for 16.172.in-addr.arpa

  • From: Andrew Brown
  • Date: Thu Oct 21 18:07:56 1999

>We were having a small problem here and I traced it down to a reverse DNS
>lookup on a 172.16 address hanging.

hmm...yeah.  they'll do that.

>I noticed that a.root-servers.net reports that BLACKHOLE.ISI.EDU is
>authoritative for 16.172.in-addr.arpa.
>
>Is this the way it should be, or is the yet another network solutions
>mistake? Who should really handle DNS for rfc1918 addresses?

well...imho, they should be delegated to localhost.  and everyone
should have a localhost zone with the proper address in it, to go with
their 127.in-addr.arpa zone file.

but then again, some people think i'm weird.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
[email protected]             * "ah!  i see you have the internet