Re: TACACS or Radius daemon on Linux

  • From: Paul Froutan
  • Date: Wed Oct 20 14:37:02 1999

At 10:49 AM 10/19/99 , [email protected] wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We are an ISP running several Cisco 2500s, 5200s, and 5300s as access
>servers.  Currently we are entering each user into each box.
>
>We are looking to set up a Red Hat Linux machine as either a TACACS or
>Radius server to centrally validate all our users.
>
>Does anyone have any experience running a TACACS or Radius daemon
>on Linux?  Where is a good place to find a Linux TACACS or Radius
>daemon?
>
>I heard that although TACACS is a Cisco product, Radius has more
>accounting and statistics capability, runs well on Linux, and will
>validate for Ciscos.

I'm running TACACS+ on multiple Red Hat Linux 5.2 boxes without any problems.  The latest version on the tar you can get from Cisco allows you to select the OS before you run make.  I believe it was written for Solaris but I have found that it works fine on Linux.  You can add a few tweeks to make things easier, but it works fine.  You can also download an RPM from freshmeat, but it has very limited capabilities.  If you need further help, contact me since I don't think we need to get into this on this list.
Paul Froutan		                             Main: 210-892-4000
Rackspace, Ltd                                    Direct: 210-892-4010
Weston Centre                                        Fax: 210-892-4329
112 East Pecan, Suite 600                Email: [email protected]
San Antonio, TX 78205                       <http://www.rackspace.com>
RACKSPACE.COM - Customized Dedicated Servers for Business (TM)