Re: ISP and NAT (question and some thoughts)

  • From: jeanlou.dupont
  • Date: Mon Oct 18 14:18:03 1999

oups... just thought of an important issue:

I guess the clients would care about the address remarking;
the DNS process is a good example...

jld.

---
just a thought...

why not expand the IPv4 address field using the 'Fragment offset' and
'Identification' fields?
Use those fields to mark packets at the edge with the destination AS number, for
example.
Customer equipment could use private address space and not bother with the edge
remarking process.
(I know that the fragmentation function would be lost due to this 'extension'.)
(I am also aware of transitioning problems related to what I am proposing; the
routers in the network cannot be upgrade all at once...)

thoughts/comments?

jld.

"Alex P. Rudnev" <[email protected]> on 10/18/99 12:46:50 PM