Re: how to waste fiber (was:OT:MarketSpeak)

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Wed Oct 13 14:42:39 1999

	The problem becomes that if your APS gear is not properly
tested and configured you can have an outage when this happens.

	Most people can't trust the telco to perform this configuration
of their gear, so yes, in cases it would be better to get a diverse
circuit path, or bury your own fiber and use your own APS gear.

	One thing that would work well is if the telcos would regularly
test their equipment and send out an outage message saying

	"We will be testing our sonet/aps gear on your ckts

	a,b,c,d on mmddyyyy from 3am-6am to insure that we have done
our job right and that the gear is still functional."

	I would not be opposed to the telcos sending me outage
messages such as that in the least, and would love it if someone did
that.

	I suspect though that they are spending so much time keeping
up with demand that doing proactive work such as this would be almost
unspeakable, but I do think that raising the bar like this would be of
great benifit to them, and would help reduce the amount of scrambing
when there is really a fiber cut.

	- jared

On Wed, Oct 13, 1999 at 09:34:18AM -0700, Randy Bush wrote:

> > 50ms is fast?  You'd drop sevral packets I'd guess.
>
> easily survivable.  but will bgp flap?

END OF LINE  |