Re: MCI WorldCom fiber cut - Syracuse, NY

  • From: Alex Bligh
  • Date: Wed Oct 06 17:58:12 1999

[email protected] said:
> I was under the impression that fiber trunks used to be buried (circa
> 15  years ago) with a copper tracer in them. Then there was some good
> reason  why they were no longer done that way. Like corrosion or
> something.

</CYNIC>

cost

<CYNIC>

Without wishing to blow my own country's trumpet, one of the few things
right about the UK (and to a great extent Europe's) telecommunications
carrier market is sensible telcos dig proper ducts, put sensible
fiber in them, bury them at sensible depths, and in general only
provision SDH (read SONET in the US). And *seem* to keep maps.

Even US carriers in the UK who commonly have US fiber cuts do this.

--
Alex Bligh
GX Networks (formerly Xara Networks)