Re: Real Media and M-Bone feeds

  • From: Jeff Haas
  • Date: Wed Oct 06 11:38:04 1999

With respect, the problems weren't all with the multicast.  Many of the
problems had to do with SNAFU.

Merit had a fire at one of our computing centers two days prior to NANOG.
Service restoration for Merit had taken precedence and we had insufficient
time to properly test our broadcast environments under Real and MBONE.
Add to this coordination problems for MBONE in general and it was
amazing that we got it working at all.  The only thing I can say is that
next time, we'll do better.  (Unless the fire demons conspire against us
again.)

FWIW, we also had distribution issues with Real due to licensing and
available bandwidth.  In order for this to scale better the next time,
we'll have to make arrangements for multiple servers around the Internet
to handle the load appropriately.  Theoretically (and only speaking
as such - I'm inexperienced with MBONE and multicast in general),
Multicast should scale better.  I'll leave that discussion to those
who _do_ have the experience.  (And hopefully I'll be able to help
contribute to the data set at the next NANOG with a properly working
setup.)

So, please don't use NANOG as an example of the failure of multicast.
Such evaluations should be done with all other things being equal.

I'd like to thank Nortel, Mlink and CW for all their help in getting
things done as well as they were under the circumstances.

--
Jeffrey Haas - Merit RSng project - [email protected]