Re: Real Media and M-Bone feeds

  • From: Tim Wolfe
  • Date: Tue Oct 05 17:41:06 1999

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Vadim Antonov wrote:

> [email protected] (Darin Divinia) wrote:
>
> >Caching doesn't work for live content.
>
> Why?  (And what is "live content"?  You mean interactive?
> Or "live" TV coverage?)

Conceptually, is it that much more effort for a server/router/device to store a
local copy of a packet as it passes through the server/router/device than it
is to simply forward said packet?  Admittedly, the client to cache
interaction is somewhat more complicated but would seem to be addressable
using (mostly) existing technology.  Would "Live" content be incredibly
hampered by a 500 ms (or less) delay so that the cache could receive the
data and distribute it to the appropriate users locally?

Maybe I am just not smart enough to understand your (Darin) point about
caching not working, but I just don't see what the huge obstacle is..

Tim

|       Timothy M. Wolfe | Wireless Internet = Get Some     |
| Chief Network Engineer | 1.800.338.2629 [email protected]   |
| ClipperNet Corporation | http://www.clipper.net/services/ |