Re: Real Media and M-Bone feeds

  • From: Vadim Antonov
  • Date: Tue Oct 05 17:34:09 1999

Sam Thomas <[email protected]> wrote:

> I am not foolish enough to argue with a million lemmings. One need only
> convince the one in front to change direction.

You'll be amazed at the incompetence of lemmings in front :(

> That a more scalable solution has not yet been developed is not evidence
> that one does not exist.

Of course, not.  But this is someting in research domain - if and when
a magic solution is found, then it'll make sense to discuss it.

Doing engineering in hope of some future magic is, well, unwise.
And there _are_ problems which cannot be solved.

> Classful routing and address assignement wasn't
> scalable, either, but we have (hopefully) come out of that era with some
> cleverness and reliance on good design.

...and on '67 vintage theoretical work by Kleinrock and Klein who showed
that routing can be done in scalable manner.  Aggregation is nothing new.

>> Nah.  It is a clear and present case of not thinking hard enough.
> Indeed, and you're willing to dismiss multicast without second thought?

No, i'm willing to dismiss it after years of playing with it and thinking
about ways to fix it.

> As time passes, I can assure you that the line between the two will blur,
> whether because of multicast, caching, or greed is yet to be seen.

Greed wins.

> * I am a multicast newbie, and largely illiterate in current implementation,
> so don't laugh at my suggestions publicly, please. :-)

Uncommon honesty :)

--vadim