Re: FW: your mail

  • From: Vijay Gill
  • Date: Sat Sep 25 23:35:06 1999

On Sat, 25 Sep 1999, Patrick Greenwell wrote:

Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

RS> 400 mbit/sec seems to be the upper limit of the currently shipping
RS> generation of gigE cards for the 7500 series.

PG> <scratching head>

PG> 400 mbit != 1 gigabit
PG> I guess the marketing department wins again....

Calculate the VIP2 PCI bus bandwidth on a 7500. All this means in this
context is that this implementation is interoperable with other GIG-E
implementations (for some definition of implementation, see CLNS large MTU
and jumbo frame issues).

The card is limited by the PCI bus.  It is still a gig-E board, it just
can't go wirespeed.

/vijay