Re: your mail

  • From: Alex P. Rudnev
  • Date: Wed Sep 22 12:18:48 1999

I'd like to say, that people usially overestimate the power of the
firewalls and the necessety of the complex server-based firewalls - and
underestimate the importance of the _rules_ they follow to in their
labs... I saw a few cases when an expansive PIX firewall was choosen and
installed, and a lot of headache created for the innocent users - and
nothin was done against the macro-viruses or NT BO trojans... And it's
more important to have _any_ firewall than do not have it at all.

CISCO CW IOS is just such thing - even usial ACL-s allow to protect
network against the usial _network scanners and exploit users_ - and FW
ios with the additional protection allow you to have good L2 - L3 and
sometimes L4 protection (I mean OSI levels). Through nothing (except the
simple wire cutter) can protect against the crazy users inside the
company...