Re: MCI/Worldcom fiber cut in NY?

  • From: Alex Rubenstein
  • Date: Sat Sep 18 01:12:43 1999

Actually, it's quite easy.

Rochelle Park, NJ: The northern LATA 224 Tandem. It's currently under
water; so are the generators and batteries. Customers of the Class 5
functiono of this office have NO DIALTONE; not even battery on the line.

Class Features of the entire northern portion of NJ are out; you can't
call out, but you can call in. AIN features are out. Dozens of Bell Atl's
OC48 SONETs are out; over 5,000 DS1's that go through that a few DACS' in
that building are gone. In the same building is AT&T Wireless, and AT&T
LD; both are completely gone. AT&T Wireless is dead in North NJ.

If the generators and batteries had been on the second floor, rather than
basement and sub-basement, they would still be up now. Now, they are
replacing the entire battery plant and generators.

I may have some pictures of it later.

My office (thank god not my data center) lost power this morning at 8am,
and we are on generators (http://www.nac.net/photos/floyd/MVC-004F.JPG);
GPU Energy says "ehh, maybe Monday or so."

The funny part is that the building our data center is in took > 4,000
gallons of water. The kicker? The water came into the building through the
2,500 amp 480volt conduits. We didn't lose power, not even for 100 ms.

I'll have pictures of that shortly also.