Re: a different view of SNMP

  • From: Mr. James W. Laferriere
  • Date: Sun Sep 05 13:36:35 1999

	Helo Bryan ,

On Sun, 5 Sep 1999 [email protected] wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Sep 1999 19:49:14 PDT, "Ron Buchalski" wrote:
> >>I sometimes wonder why Wellfleet nee Bay nee Nortel haven't already
> >>taken over most of Cisco's market share for this reason given their
> >>almost total embracement of SNMP for configuration and management.
> >>Sure, they did leave a wide market niche for third party font-end tools
> >>that actually worked, but at least they embraced the standards!  :-)

> >Well, could it be because Cisco routers _work_?  :-)

> Or that you don't have to use that piece of crap called Configuration Mangler
> to deal with the thing and then pay for upgrades to a version of configuration
> software that doesn't leave the equipment in a bad state.

	Now that Nortel is in charge that is the case 'pay pay pay'
	When I worked at NWRain.net we had a BLN in use .  When it
	was put into service the way to get SMxxx was to just ftp
	to their site & grab the latest 'production' version .
	If you had a Maint. Contract just call & ask for the lastest
	service group patched version ... that of course was before
	Nortel started providing 'Improved' services to it customers .
		Jusy My ~.03 worth ,  JimL
       | James   W.   Laferriere | System   Techniques | Give me VMS     |
       | Network        Engineer | 25416       22nd So |   Give me Linux |
       | [email protected] | DesMoines  WA 98198 |     only on AXP |