Re: Warning to ISPs: 9netave

  • From: Peter Galbavy
  • Date: Thu Sep 02 02:09:01 1999

On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 07:52:32PM -0700, Patrick Greenwell wrote:
> According to information provided to me, 9netave is in no uncertain terms
> is refusing to take down the site without a court order.
>
> Beware...

Why beware ? While this is probably off-topic, I would like to point
out some of the more heartless realities of living in a litigious
society, in particular like that of the US. If the service provider
removed the site based on some complaints then they would be opening
themselves up for claims of restricting trade, suppression of the
rights of the customers etc. I am not in the US, nor a lawyer - but
you get the idea. Lots of pointless (or is that punative ?) damages
feasible.

The provider is waiting for an external agency (the courts) to take
the responsibility for saying that the site should be removed. When I
was at Demon, we had a strict policy of not submitting to any third
party requests WRT user account except those either demanded by law,
or those events that clearly breach our AUP - which has the force of
law, as part of the terms and conditions of service.

Regards,
--
Peter Galbavy
Knowledge Matters Ltd