Re: Tech contact for Qwest?

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Sat Aug 21 01:33:48 1999

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Christian Nielsen wrote:

> Maybe not an appropriate topic for Nanog... but... it is becoming a sad fact
> that the clue level of 'internet engineers' is going down.

I think you mean that the clue density is getting sparser as the Internet
grows. This is because clueful Internet engineers are often clueless when
it comes to things like mentoring which would cause a more even clue
distribution. And management does not put enough emphasis on knowledge
transfer because they don't seem to have a clue about where Internet
engineers come from.

Since the thrice yearly NANOG meetings are a major source of clue transfer
in the industry, I think that this is quite appropriate to discuss on the
list. Should the NANOG meetings include a longer tutorial component prior
to the two-day meeting? If NANOG offered weeklong courses prior to the
meetings would your management sent engineers for training? Would your
management allow clueful engineers to teach such courses?

--
Michael Dillon                 -               E-mail: [email protected]
Check the website for my Internet World articles -  http://www.memra.com