DNS Flood

  • From: Jamie D.
  • Date: Thu Aug 12 15:20:56 1999

Are there any other ISP's who are experiencing DNS floods, specifically I am
looking for traffic destined for (or coming from) the following IPs

>>> 199.108.32.203
>>> 216.15.178.201
>>> 129.180.11.17
>>> 216.41.23.68
>>> 208.235.124.20
>>> 203.251.77.1

It appears someone is running a script that is using these nameservers, as
well as the name servers of other educational facilities, to do a lookup on
mulitple servers in the amplitude of 3-4 a second.  This activity has been
happening for the past 3 weeks, we have null routed this traffic on our
backbone, but it still shows up in Cache flow.

This traffic actually saturated our customer's pipe as well as increased the
load on our backbone router.

If anyone has seen anything at all like that, (specifically people from
UU.net or AT&T Worldnet) please lets band together and find the person doing
this.

Thanks
Jamie D.    | [email protected]
AT&T CERFnet| Network Analyst