MCI/Worldcom customer advisory

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Tue Aug 10 12:35:43 1999

Although I said I wouldn't post any more updates about the MCI/Worldcom
frame-relay problems, since I said MCI/Worldcom wasn't keeping its
customers updated, I should inform you that we received our first
'customer advisory' from MCI/Worldcom at 1:57am CDT this morning.
MCI/Worldcom informed us they are 'upgrading' their network, and
some customers may see a few service interruptions or congestion.

Because MCI/Worldcom's PR department seems determined to declare me
a crank posting rumors on the Internet, perhaps other MCI/Worldcom
customers carry more weight.

http://www.cbot.com/news_views/trading.html

I called it a "collapse," MCI/Worldcom's President of operations called
it a "meltdown."  I think either word communicates the seriousness of the
situation better than MCI/Worldcom's PR department calling it an "upgrade."

Those that have read my postings over the years know I'm less upset
about the actual outage, than I'm angry about the management response
to the problem.  The entire weekend we couldn't reach anyone with more
authority at MCI/Worldcom than the call-taker or first-level tech.  The
upper management simply vanished.

BTW, I think Alan is just worried because Frontier bid on replacing
MCI/Worldcom as our frame-relay provider, and he might get me as a
customer again.