Re: SYN spoofing

  • From: Ron Buchalski
  • Date: Tue Aug 03 11:39:28 1999

From: Randy Bush <[email protected]>
To: Joe Shaw <[email protected]>
CC: John Fraizer <[email protected]>,Dan Hollis <[email protected]>, [email protected],[email protected]
Subject: Re: SYN spoofing
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 17:09:55 +0200 (CEST)

> How hard is it really to put a filter on your outbound links that says
> drop all ip traffic heading out these links that isn't from my IP space?

trivial. only one gotcha. if it is a backbone router, it will fall over
dead. beyond that, not a problem.

backbone level traffic can not be packet filtered by current real routers.
but we've had this discussion a few times already.

randy

Which is why it's more scaleable to do packet filtering at the edge, and leave the core to do what it does best...switch packets.

-rb