Re: Toronto bell canada central office fire

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Tue Jul 20 19:13:34 1999

[email protected] (David Lesher) writes:
>a Telephone Company building, with Telephone Company rules and
>craft people. Much as I despised dealing with them; they had a
>Book and followed it. They wrote their Book after attending the
>School of Hard Knocks. It showed.

The mistake is assuming there is only one "Book."  Even telephone
companies make this mistake.  There Book isn't always the best way
to do some things.

There is/was the Book according to Ma Bell (now telcordia).
There is/was the Book according to IBM.
There is/was the Book according to DoD.
There is/was the Book according to USDA (yes, the US Department of
Agriculture has a book on how to build a Central Office).
There are the (many, many) Books according to ITU/ISO/ANSI/T1.

The interesting thing is none of them completely agree with any
of the others.  You need a good understanding of the assumptions
which went into the book.  If you plan to put data processing
equipment into a facility, Bellcore/Telcordia may not be the
best template.  If you plan to put a 5ESS into a facility IBM
may not be the best template.  If you plan to put both into
the same facility, things get a bit more interesting.