Re: revoked .edu's: does it happen?

  • From: Andrew Brown
  • Date: Thu Jul 15 11:09:30 1999

>Isn't it Jeffery Case that sez "as we say down on the farm,
>reality diverges greatly from reality"?
>
>Has anyone ever heard of a .edu domain being delegated and
>subsequently revoked because the owner's organization was not
>a four-year degree granting institution??

yep.  completely.

[clipped from a posting to domain-policy from [email protected] on 4/20]
> Registrant:
> Zig Zag Corporation (WEB419-DOM)
>    Suite 350, 60 Revere Drive
>    Northbrook, IL 60062
>    US
>
>    Domain Name: WEB.EDU
>
>    Administrative Contact, Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
>       Wolf, Scott  (SW1802)  [email protected]
>       847-831-0300 (FAX) 847-564-1199
>    Billing Contact:
>       Wolf, Michael  (MW215)  [email protected]
>       847-831-0300
>
>    Record last updated on 09-Apr-99.
>    Record created on 09-Apr-99.
>    Database last updated on 19-Apr-99 11:01:23 EDT.
>
>    Domain servers in listed order:
>
>    NS.ZIGZAGCORP.COM 209.218.19.6
>    NS2.ZIGZAGCORP.COM 209.218.19.18
>    NS1.HOME.NET 24.0.0.27
>    NS2.HOME.NET 24.2.0.27

and later that day, someone pointed out

>Zig Zag Corporation (FURNITURE20-DOM)                            FURNITURE.EDU
>Zig Zag Corporation (DESIGN73-DOM)                                  DESIGN.EDU
>Zig Zag Corporation (INTERNET254-DOM)                             INTERNET.EDU
>Zig Zag Corporation (COMPUTER76-DOM)                              COMPUTER.EDU
>Zig Zag Corporation (WEB419-DOM)                                       WEB.EDU

someone at internic popped in a day later and said they'd all be
removed.  from poking at a copy of the edu zone file circa then, i can
"derive" a long list of names that have been revoked.

i'd suggest you also read domain policy, but the signal to noise ratio
there makes this list seem like standing right next a speaker stack at
a ministry concert in madison square garden.  without earplugs.  :)

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
[email protected]             * "ah!  i see you have the internet