Re: Proposal for mitigating DoS attacks

  • From: Jon Green
  • Date: Sat Jul 10 13:37:29 1999

>I'd invite comments on an idea I had to mitigate the effect of
>Denial of Service attacks. I've outlined it below.

This technique serves to help the packet kiddies achieve their goals.
Why not use the same technique to blackhole the relay networks?  Maybe
having their Internet access die a couple times would convince them to
fix their networks.

If I were an ISP, I think I'd have issues with allowing third parties to
blackhole traffic in my own network.  I don't think this does anything
to fix the political issues of inter-provider cooperation..  it just
provides an easier technical solution.

-Jon