Who are you gonna call?

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Tue Jun 29 01:55:35 1999

We're all doomed.  Techweek reports Cisco CEO John Chambers plans to be
working with his programmers on New Year's Eve.  Anyone who has ever worked
on a software project knows what kind of code gets produced by programmers
while the CEO is hanging around :-)
http://www.techweek.com/articles/6-28-99/countdow.htm

On to something a little more serious, although its going to sound a
bit strange.  Imagine you had a special phone which always worked and
can call any number in the world.  It has just one limitation.  The
phone has only 9 speed-dial keys.  And no cheating, you can't call the
AT&T/MCI/Sprint/etc operator to dial a number which wasn't pre-programmed,
and no third-party call forwarding.

What Internet specific resources would you like to have access?

Assume police, fire, medical, telephone repair, generator repair, etc are
already handled.

Here was my list:

   - Cisco TAC (Have you paid your IOS service contract yet?)
   - MFS (MAE-East tech on duty)
   - Merit (Route Server, Gated)
   - Internet Software Consortium (Have you paid your BIND service
        contract yet?)
   - UUNET NOC (if the 800lbs ISP falls over, we're all going to feel it)
   - Sendmail, Inc (after TCP/IP, mail is something all NOC's depend on)
   - Sun Microsystems (for those not running Linux)
   - ARIN (assuming APNIC and RIPE are mirrored)
   - My home phone (Family is important too)

I went through my old tickets, and besides telephone repair, its remarkable
how infrequently most of the Internet stuff we depend on breaks.  So I
based my list not on how likely something would break, but on how bad it
would be if it did break.

Nothing may happen, but assuming such a list affected the setting of
priorities, any changes to my list and why?