Re: The Cidr Report

  • From: Peter Galbavy
  • Date: Mon Jun 28 04:34:02 1999

On the subject of the general number of routes increasing, has
everyone involved in the development or maintainence of their routers
checked that the 2^16 (65536) limit is not going to hit them.

I know that for those using PC routers, like my old colleagues at
Demon, it is important that you make sure that your OS is upgraded
to use a >16 bit int for a "reference count" to an interface. Andrew
Bangs @ Demon spotted this a while back and submitted patch to the
*BSD groups, of which I know OpenBSD has changed the reference count
to a 32 bit.

Once you add some IGP routes the 2^16 is coming up fast.

--
Peter Galbavy
Knowledge Matters Ltd