Re: Cisco TAC KRAP !!

  • From: Jan Ahrent Czmok
  • Date: Fri Jun 25 14:48:01 1999

* Alex Bligh ([email protected]) [990625 20:27]:

> >From a non-cisco internal point of view, when I have a problem
> with Cisco TAC's performance which happens occassionally, I contact
> my account manager and/or our contact in Cisco Service. Whilst
> I can't say they've fixed everything 100% of the time, they are
> far more likely to do something than whinging anonymously on
> NANOG. Every call desk has their rogue idiots. Another part
> of my company runs several desks- when people complain, we identify
> the individuals and try & get it fixed. In order to do this
> they'll need your name, and the rep's name.
>
> On a final note (and no I don't take their shilling) Cisco's
> TAC is the best of any large-scale hardware vendor I've
> ever used. Still. Despite foibles. If you a lot worse, you
> should have tried Ascend Europe (which has possibly
> improved since a year ago when we dumped all their
> kit - this being one of the main reasons).
>
> The cynic in my wonders why this is posted anonymously.
> Just what have you got to hide? Not working for a competitor
> or market researcher per chance?
>
> --
> Alex Bligh
> GX Networks (formerly Xara Networks)

Well....

My experience with Cisco-TAC is mixed. Sometimes, if you have VERY big
problems, they help you quite quickly, so i agree to your position about
the cisco tac.

But if it depends general issues (e.g. FastEthernet Card on 3640 not
recognizing Link, asking for documentation about internal registers )
then you run into problems. Therefore i had the same negative response
as the poster of the original mail on nanog.

About Ascend TAC: It depends on which issue you ask them.
If you have Problems with MAX or TNT or "access equipment" you might
have a problem :-))

If you are talking with them about "core switches" like our (now lovely
workingi) BSTDX 9000's we purchased from them, you get 1A (means
FANTASTIC SUPPORT) service and support.

>From my point of view, it depends which hardware support do you need and
the knowledge about this products (and the history behind the product).

Jan Czmok
Senior Network Engineer
Gigabell AG

--