[semi-non-op] 9netave junk fax

  • From: John R Levine
  • Date: Sat Jun 19 19:22:32 1999

I gather than 9netave, a web hosting company in New Jersey, sent out
last week large numbers of junk faxes to numbers scraped from WHOIS.  I
certainly got one, even though my listing says "NO FAX ADS $500 PENALTY".

As you probably know, junk faxes are both unethical and illegal.  You can sue
for up to $1500 per junk fax under 47 USC 227.  A friend and I are trying to
put together a group suit to encourage them not to try steal customers that
way.  If you got one of these and still have it, please email either me or
Ray Everett-Church, [email protected]

Regards,
John Levine, [email protected], Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Finger for PGP key, f'print = 3A 5B D0 3F D9 A0 6A A4  2D AC 1E 9E A6 36 A3 47