Re: Y2K tests and problems

  • From: Alex P. Rudnev
  • Date: Sat Jun 19 10:25:18 1999

Hmm.

Don't be scared of Y2K problem itself, but avoid those who try to test
it... Interesting, what issue does INTERNIC plan to test - DNS (what's
wrong with DNS at all? In theory there is not ANY place whene DNS server
or resolver can be sencitive to the YEAR at all), or their crazy billing
system (it can be sensitive, but why do they need NTP).

-:)

On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Sean Donelan wrote:

> Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 2:10:09 -0500
> From: Sean Donelan <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Y2K tests and problems
>

> The San Fernando Valley sewage spill during a Y2K test in news reports
> was traced to a 1985 programmer mistake in the code.  What combination
> of events tickled the bug, and why nothing at the plant alerted operators
> to the problem is still being investigated.
>
> In the Internet world, NSI announced on Friday their Y2K test program
> for domain name servers.  If you choose to participate, I noticed NSI
> plans to use NTP for clock synchronization.  One problem which has shown
> up in other Y2K tests is failing to keep the NTP test network properly
> isolated from the NTP production network. With correct stratum settings
> and a good NTP web, if the test and production networks are accidently
> connected, NTP figures out someone's clock is insane.  However, in a few
> cases NTP on a production machine which isn't properly isolated will
> synchronize with the test NTP network, e.g. if a machine reboots, and
> uses a NTP broadcast to set its clock when booting.
>
> Unlike the financial industry which can do testing on the weekends, when
> few real transactions are in the system, the Internet is a 24x7 network.
> So be careful out there.
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/990618/va_network_2.html
> http://www.root2000.com/
> --
> Sean Donelan, Data Research Associates, Inc, St. Louis, MO
>   Affiliation given for identification not representation

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 230-41-41, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)