Re: revised ACL 112 ?

  • From: Michael P. Lucking
  • Date: Thu Jun 17 18:15:19 1999

In February we received a new /20 CIDR from ARIN. I felt that we might be
caught by the filters at ISPs like Sprint (http://www.sprint.net/filter.htm).
I contacted Sprint twice and spoke to two different engineers, both told
me that they were not filtering as their page described, and they would
allow advertisements for /20 in 206/8 - 233/8. Since that time I have
spoken to several people who purchase transit from Sprint, and they do
indeed see my advertisements. Looking at NetFlow stats I can't find any
major provider that we have not had traffic flow between. I assume they
had to have accepted my advertisements, nobody runs BGP and default routes
:).

BTW: I also contacted, and received a similar response from ANS.

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, I Am Not An Isp wrote:

> And it might interest you to know that, to the best of my knowledge,
> neither EBONE (Sean's current employer) or Sprint (Sean's former employer)
> use that type of filter any longer.  The only thing I can see from any big
> providers is filtering on /24s.  (If someone knows differently, please
> correct me.  I'm just commenting on what I see - I have no first hand
> knowledge of the filters in anyone else's routers.)

Michael Lucking                                     [email protected]