Re: DS-3 Error Stats

  • From: Alex Bligh
  • Date: Mon Jun 14 04:48:03 1999

> Maybe I should add that I'm looking at ATM WAN switches and
> several-thousand-mile hauls.  Are ATM WAN switches more sensitive?  Can
> telcos clean up the noise on such a long haul as opposed to
> several-hundred-mile hauls.  My counters on the routers for the 'short'
> haul lines are indeed zero.

If you can see errors, put on yor camo gear. Lines, international
or otherwise, should run clean, whatever equipment is
connected so long as it's correctly configured. Like 0 errors.
The differentiators between routes and telcos are (a) how often
you get a problem, and (b) how quickly it gets fixed
(i.e. there shouldn't be differences in quiescent BER - though
route, technology and organization competence may well affect
MTBF, MTTR, Availability etc.)

--
Alex Bligh
GX Networks (formerly Xara Networks)