Re: C&W Outage, more info, sort of

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Thu Jun 10 17:55:10 1999

>> Sounds like the cisco bug which has affected several different providers
>> over the last month or so.  A route (almost always a high-interest
>> destination) doesn't get added to the forwarding table correctly.
>
>Not true. The fact that none of my colleagues, the isp team, and I
>was contacted/involved seems to suggest these routers do not run
>Cisco IOS.

Probally true.  I received a report from a third-party the routers in
this particular outage were not Cisco's. The routers were another vendor
brand.  I did leave a voice mail message, and e-mail to Data Comm explaining
I had been informed I misidentified the router vendor.  But I haven't
been able to confirm what really happened either through C&W customer
service (what outage?) or the other router vendor (no comment).

However, before cisco account teams start popping champaign corks,
the problem I did note with Cisco IOS and CEF does exist, and has
affected a number of major backbones off and on for several weeks.
A rather rip-roaring discussion is continuing on the cisco-nsp mailing
list as we speak about CEF issues.