Re: [SNMP] Re: HP Openview Slowness.

  • From: Alex P. Rudnev
  • Date: Thu Jun 10 09:27:49 1999

I am not sure if CISCO support 'bgp_prefixes_per_peer' now, may be, yes
already.

But we had some comparasion:

(1) To get ip accounting by SNMP, it takes 10 minutes. By 'telnet' - 4
srconds;

(2) To get ip routing table by 'rsh' or 'telnet' (we use 'ciscotalk' tool
with the 'send/expect pairs) you need 10  - 20 lines written by PERL and
1 sec or real time; to do it by SNMP - try yourself;

(3) To get 'sh ip bgp sum' table by 'telnet' you need 1 second, by SNMP -
try yourself (trough we poll BGP connections by SNMP);

(4) TO get EVERYTHING about the interface, you can write 1 (ONE) request:
'rsh .... show interface Serial0'. How much requests and variables you
should poll to do it by SNMP. How mach different MIB files you should
drag through to do it by SNMP (and determine if this interface have Sync
or Async mode in case of universal serial interface, for example).

Etc etc... SNMP can work (just as LANE can work, H.323 can work); but
it's an example of the wrong designes (except LANE) because there is ways
to do it 100 - 200 times simpler (GET router.interface.Serial0.* , for
example).

Result: I need core BGP table from the router. Guess how I get it. By
'ciscotalk + show ip bgp routes', no doubt (I am not suicider to do it by
SNMP).

Through the HPOV is so huge not due to SNMP, I think, but due to attempt
to join a lot of _useless usially_ features in the same software-box.

Alex.