Re: HP Openview Slowness.

  • From: Alex P. Rudnev
  • Date: Thu Jun 10 06:21:42 1999

I use our own monitoring system, and the only complain I just have from
the 24x7 staff is the absence of the graphic map.

To solve this, I need some package (like 'xfig') allowing me to dray
graphic map in the vector style, and define some attributes (color,
blinking, etc) dynamically (defined by the external or embedded script).
THat's enougph for the middle-size networks.

What's about HPOV and other mosters - good tools for the static networks
having good resources to execute such big programs. I do not know an
examples when NOC people are satisfied from this tools (usially they are
used to draw the map, and mgrt or 'snmpstatd' to build reports and
graphs).

Btw, see http://noc.bn.ru/~alex/MON/ for an example of 'snmpstatd' output.

Alex.

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Scott Call wrote:

> Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 12:51:33 -0700
> From: Scott Call <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: HP Openview Slowness.
>

> "Alex P. Rudnev" wrote:
>
> > If you begin to use commercial soft after free one, then:
> > - don't drop free soft, ypu'll use it anyway;
>
> I know :) I'm doing HPOV because the 'suits' want a pretty network map on a projector
> somewhere.  MRTG/etc will still be very present in the system :)
>
> > - increase memory, CPU and disk up to 2 - 4 times (if you had 64RAM,
> > install 512);
>
> Noted, thanks.
>
> > - be ready to be disappointed;
>
> :)
>
> > Through HP OV is not bad piece of software.
>
> It's not, but I am disappointed it's not more router-centric.  I appreciate the need to
> monitor workstations, but I've got multitudes more network devices that workstations/servers.
>
> Thanks for all the responses everyone.
> -scott
>
> --
> |Scott Call           |"How could this be a problem in a country where  |
> |Router Geek          | we have Intel and Microsoft"-AlGore on y2 k     |

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 230-41-41, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)