Re: Is anyone actually USING IP QoS?

  • From: Alex P. Rudnev
  • Date: Tue May 18 10:06:11 1999

Quite agree:

> I'll agree that rather than concentrating on the latest and greatest
> QoS "if everyone adopted <foo> we'd be fine" strategies (that sound
> identical to the Promise of an ATM World), we should be concentrating
> on things that have been demonstrated to improve quality (CoS-based
							    ^^^^^^^^^^
> queueing, modern queue management, intra-domain CoS-tags, replacement
		^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> of UDP by TCP wherever possible, content replication/caching, etc).
Except this -:) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^      But this !

> The issue of adapting your CoS-queues -across the domain- to demand
> seems to me the sharp edge of real VoIP deployment.
Btw, RSVP just do it. But if have not your incoming links overloaded,
simple fixed queue management (controlled by precedences and tags) is
enougph and can be realised at the inter-ISP level.

On the other hand, I can't believe someone can run RSVP at the inter-ISP
level.

> Cheers,
>
> Joe
>
> --
> Disclaimer:   "I'm the only one foolish enough to claim these opinions."
> Joe Provo, Manager                                   508.229.8400 x 3006
> Interconnections and Technology Evaluation           Fax    508.229.2375
> Technology & Network Development, RCN                <[email protected]>

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 230-41-41, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)