RE: Is anyone actually USING IP QoS?

  • From: Alex P. Rudnev
  • Date: Tue May 18 05:23:01 1999

In addition. Months ago I'v asked about RSVP in Nanog. I'v get 1 (one)
answer - just from the Russia - _we use it over one our link_. -:)

On Mon, 17 May 1999, Steve Riley (MCS) wrote:

> Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 14:04:37 -0700
> From: Steve Riley (MCS) <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: RE: Is anyone actually USING IP QoS?
>

> Nice to see that I'm not the only one believing in the foolishness of QoS
> hype. Bandwidth is essentially free, and will always be cheaper than QoS.
> And since in the end nearly all decisions are based on economics, it should
> be apparent which is the more logical decision.
>
> Allow me to point you to an interesting paper called "Rise of the Stupid
> Network." Many of you here may have already seen this. It was written back
> in 1997 by David Isenberg, then a reasearcher at AT&T Labs (Isenberg is now
> an independent consultant). His paper profoundly changed my views on QoS and
> made me realize that networks perform best when we limit how smart they get
> and ensure that networks focus on transport only. I urge everyone to read
> it.
>
> Paper: http://www.rageboy.com/stupidnet.html
> Isenberg's site: http://www.isen.com/

> Steve Riley
> Microsoft Telecommunications Practice in Denver, Colorado
>     email: mailto:[email protected]
>     call: +1 303 521-4129 (cellular)
>     page: +1 888 440-6249 or mailto:[email protected]
> Applying computer technology is simply finding the right wrench to pound in
> the correct screw.

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 230-41-41, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)