RE: Is anyone actually USING IP QoS?

  • From: Hank Nussbacher
  • Date: Tue May 18 01:43:16 1999

At 14:04 17/05/99 -0700, Steve Riley (MCS) wrote:

You are merely showing your geocentricism by saying that bandwidth is
essentially free.  That may be true in the USA but not in other countries
and especially not trans-Pacific or trans-Atlantic.  T3 from NY-Chicago
goes for around $20K/month.  T3 from London to NY goes for around
$100K/month.  T3 from Tel-Aviv to NY goes for around $300K/month.  T3
Tokyo-LA goes for $400K/month (all prices for fiber on a one year
contract).  I would agree that at $20K/month you could build possible
business models that turn the cost of the b/w to be part of the costs you
eat and in turn provide b/w free of charge to your users.

But at $300-$400K/month it ain't gonna work ($20K/month gets one an almost
E1 from Europe to the USA - whereas in the USA it gets you a T3).  Go to
www.band-x.com to see what current circuits cost.

Once int'l bandwidth costs drop to the rates of USA national rates, then I
would be inclined to agree with you and Vadim that QoS is not needed.
Clearly today, IP QoS is not needed at the campus level.

-Hank