Re: Is anyone actually USING IP QoS?

  • From: Vadim Antonov
  • Date: Mon May 17 22:21:09 1999

Prabhu Kavi <[email protected]> wrote:

> It's amazing that people continue to spout this "bandwidth is free" notion over
> and over again. Based upon economics, could someone please explain to me how
> service providers can run a business by giving away bandwidth?

Well, free bandwidth and QoS-free networks are different notions.

Absolutely, bandwidth is always going to cost something.  This does
not mean its rationing is desirable or economically (and technically!)
feasible.

And, yes, providers can have a business model of giving bandwidth away
as long as they get to maintain stable customer relationships and
perform services such as collection or advertising on behalf of some
third parties.

--vadim