GeekTools SuperWhois v2.0

  • From: Rodney Joffe
  • Date: Fri May 14 11:53:37 1999

Hello,

v2.0 of SuperWhois is now up and in production (subject to bugs you find
tho'...).

The same version exists at both the web interface, and the command line
whois proxy.

We currently query for 88 tlds, including 6bone. To get the entire list
(also used for whois-servers.net) do:

dig @ns1.centergate.com whois-servers.net axfr

We've instituted some limits because of potential abuse by spammers. So,
if you make more than 25 queries a day from the same ip, please send
email letting us know what ip address you are coming from, and convince
us that you are not using it for spamming, and we'll open it up for you.

Important Privacy Note: We are now logging whois queries only - for
obvious reasons...

Here is the 'man' section. We're working on cleaning up the source to
release level, and then we'll place it in the software section of
geektools for download. We also hope to have a 'geek' version of a
windows superwhois client within a couple of weeks, for those who have
to use windows boxen.

Enjoy. And please remember to provide updates to whois server
information to [email protected] These updates also go into the
whois-servers.net zone.

/rlj
[email protected]
www.centergate.com
"Technology so advanced, even *we* don't understand it!"

                    Using the GeekTools WHOIS Proxy
                    -------------------------------

whois.geektools.com
Czar - Robb Ballard  [email protected]

Note:  Due to the variety of whois clients currently in use, this
document makes no attempt to tell the user how to operate his/her whois
client.
       Any query examples which appear in this document are in the
format that the whois proxy requires.  It is up to the user to determine
how to get his/her own whois client to pass this information to the
proxy.

Features and Descriptions:
--------------------------

The GeekTools WHOIS proxy has the ability to parse and/or interpret
information provided to it in the form of a query.  The proxy
automatically determines if the query is a full or partial IP address,
domain, NIC handle, etc. and then (usually) acts appropriately.  The
following list shows valid query types and examples.

- Domain Query
  Format:           domain.tld
  Example:          nanog.org
  Action:           The proxy determines the proper whois server to
                    query based on the TLD and queries that server for
                    the information.

- IP Address
  Format:           ###.###.###.###, ###.###.###, or ###.###
  Example:          204.69.234.0
  Action:           The proxy first queries ARIN for the answer.  If
                    ARIN has delegated the block to another registry,
                    the proxy will query the appropriate server for the
                    information.

- AS Numbers
  Format:           ###
  Example           12008
  Action:           The proxy determines the appropriate registry to
                    query for the AS number information and retrieves
                    it.

- NIC Handles
  Format:           XX###
  Example:          RB190, RB190-ARIN
  Action:           The proxy queries the appropriate registry, based on
                    the suffix of the handle if one is given.

- Forced Queries
  Format:           query destination
  Example:          smith ra
  Action:           Forces the query to be sent to any of the following
                    servers based on the destination.  The destination
                    may be INTERNIC, RIPE, APNIC, AUNIC, ARIN, or RA.

Other Information:

- The proxy automatically includes query switches for certain whois
servers.  For example, queries to whois.nic.ad.jp are returned in
Japanese.  The proxy appends "/e" to the query to force the server to
return the information in English.

- Queries for which an authoritative whois server is not available
default to Internic unless forced to a different server.

- Basic help may be obtained by sending a null query to the whois proxy.