Wasted space

  • From: Austin Schutz
  • Date: Thu Apr 29 18:49:32 1999

	While importing netblock data I discovered what must be common
knowledge for most. A large portion of allocated space is not being announced.
Equally exciting was the discovery that a large portion of space is
maintainer-free, thus making it essentially impossible to have an exact
accounting of who has what.
	IMO this seems much like those people who hoard domain names, except
worse because ipv4 space is finite.
	Seems like we ought to drop these pointless allocations and make the
owners justify space they use in the future. Networks using such space for
internal use can use NAT if they ever decide to connect the The Internet.

	Austin