Re: Severe Response Degradation

  • From: Andrew Brown
  • Date: Wed Apr 28 10:08:15 1999

>> I haven't actually tried this, but I have been told that if you actually
>> use @Home's DNS servers and query the RFC1918 addresses for the routers, it
>> will give you back "intelligent" names.
>
>I've tried it, without success. If anyone finds a particular DNS server
>in their realm which does resolve these, please let me know. They seem
>to treat the info as trade secrets... very annoying.

i tried it. it worked fine.  dig home.net ns and try those.  i just
axfr'ed

   168.192.in-addr.arpa	(36 answers)
   10.in-addr.arpa	(3770 answers)
   16.172.in-addr.arpa	(926 records)
   17.172.in-addr.arpa	(158 records)

from their ns2.home.net (24.2.0.27).  they're not using the rest of
172.16/12.  or, at least, don't have the reverse zones set up.

>Considering the large chunk of 24/8 they have, I can't imagine why they
>had to use RFC 1918 addresses throughout their infrastructure. When I
>raised issues about this (just after getting a T1 to their network),
>they had no answers other than that since they chose an MTU of 1500
>bytes for all their links, they didn't think path MTU discovery would be
>an issue.

well then, they're obviously clueless.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
[email protected]             * "ah!  i see you have the internet