Re: Non-existing domain

  • From: David Shaw
  • Date: Sun Apr 25 23:52:18 1999

On Sat, Apr 24, 1999 at 08:45:35AM -0400, Mark Moore wrote:

> Is there any way to see if people have tried to get to non-existing
> domains?  I mean, if someone requests doda.org and it does not exist, is
> the request logged anywhere?

If you really wanted to, you can rig their local nameserver to log it.
That will only tell you who looked up a non-existant name using that
particular nameserver though.

There is no, and due to the way DNS is designed, can be no one repository
for such logs.

There was (and I hope someone who recalls this better than I do jumps in
with more info) an experiment a while back where someone rigged one of the
root servers to log NXDOMAINs.. it turned out that the majority of the bad
requests were for stuff like "WORKGROUP."  Sigh.

David

--
   David Shaw  |  [email protected]  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/