Re: address spoofing

  • From: Phil Howard
  • Date: Sun Apr 25 03:29:50 1999

Andrew Brown wrote:

> >If BIND could be modified to deliver different results depending on the
> >source of the request, or it's interface, then it might become easy for
> >people to setup DNS to avoid this.
>
> not running a current bind, eh?  :P
>
> the 8.x.x series bind dynamically picks up and drops interfaces as
> they appear and disappear, and can be told on which interfaces to
> listen.  so...you can actually have a publicly available,
> non-recursive name server to answer the queries for the zones for
> which you need to be authoritative on the interface(s) to which those
> zones are delegated.
>
> then, you can have (if you want) another bind listening on other
> interfaces for other stuff.  like the "internal dns" server that you
> mentioned.  or maybe a recursive, caching-only server that listens
> only on 127.0.0.1.  of course...they can speak to each other if need
> be.  :)

I tried 2 instances of BIND and they didn't work right.  One functioned
and the other played dead (very dead ... as in the process blocked and
would not wake up).  One needs 2 separate machines to get it to actually
work right (times the amount of redundancy desired).  If you know the
magic to make it work right, I'd sure like to know.  Maybe some kind of
lock somewhere?

--
Phil Howard           KA9WGN
[email protected] [email protected]