Re: address spoofing

  • From: Daniel Senie
  • Date: Thu Apr 22 20:21:53 1999

Randy Bush wrote:

> when we tried it on routers in different parts of the network, it seemed
> to show similar patterns.
>
> anyone have clues other than net slime and misconfigured nats?

I actually have never seen a NAT box do this (but would like to hear
about such cases). The NAT implementations I've worked with have been
extremely good about avoiding leaks.

The likely cause is routers in people's infrastructure using private
address space for point to point links and as ways to avoid using up
public address space.

Oh, and you might check out a draft by Bill Manning which lists
additional address blocks which should be filtered,
draft-manning-dsua-00.txt. A URL to a copy is:
http://www.amaranthnetworks.com/ietf/drafts/draft-manning-dsua-00.txt

Dan

Daniel Senie                                        [email protected]
Amaranth Networks Inc.            http://www.amaranthnetworks.com