Re: New York City peering points, alternate to NYIIX??

  • From: Jim Mercer
  • Date: Wed Apr 21 13:40:22 1999

> 1) Telehouse will not allow another peering point at 25 Broadway. Its like
> saying "I will put my own Giga at MAE-EAST!

i'm looking at a simple switch, allowing the participants to work out their
own peering arrangements.  we have a small startup one here in Toronto.

is there something in telehouse's contract which would stop me from
dropping a switch in and opening it up to any and all comers?

> 2) $400 a month for a port where a decent amount of traffic is traded and
> where the switch is well maintained is not rediculous...Telehouse is not a
> 501(c)3...they are in this to make money...

currently, according to telehouse, there are some 70-100 ISP's in the
manhattan facility.  only something like 12 are jacked into NYIIX, the
bulk of which are asian ISP's.

$400/month, as it stands right now, is not worth it.

define well maintained? a simple switch on backed up power doesn't require
much maintenance.  for the toronto exchange we simply drove a stake in the
ground and said come meet here, no cost.  participants are allowed to do
whatever peering they want one a free or commercial basis.  they are told
that while best efforts will be made to keep the switch running, the exchange
itself will not guarantee 100% 7x24 uptime.  since the costs to the
participants is zero (or, let's assume a share of the footprint), expectations
for high end guarantees should not be that high.

> 3) Unless you can get some big names to peer openly, no one would be
> willing to pay...
> So how will you fund a switch and other costs?

my clients sound willing to provide a cisco cat 1900 or some such and will
house it in their racks.  if more/faster ports are needed, they would be
willing to add equipment maybe requesting some kind of small fee to offset
the costs.

> I think Telehouse is making a buck, but isn't that what we are all here for?

true enough, but i don't really see alot of value for the $400/month.

--
[ Jim Mercer    Reptilian Research      [email protected]   +1 416 410-5633 ]
[ The telephone, for those of you who  have forgotten, was a commonly used ]